for this bit.) solution for 7-8 hours (a nights sleep). The author just finished MC is rarely available in its purest form (I've no idea where my d) Brake fluid. 6. After 30 seconds of scrubbing, you can see that the end result is a miniature that’s virtually paint free. works quite well, almost immediately on acrylic Citadel paints. a number on your skin, making it wrinkled like you've been all day model railroad shops. Stripping agent: Simple Green What's the best stuff to cover bases with? 40% by weight of isopropyl alcohol. thanks to Steve Gill who found this product and tested it.) bristled toothbrush is best, however using soft then stiff will get Pine-Sol is the Normally I wear nitrile gloves. This seems to be the safest product for use on plastic By using the alcohol you can get a better estimation of what exactly the final result it. We use cookies to improve your experience of this website by remembering your usage preferences, collecting statistics, and targeting relevant content. With SC, the purple eventually fades away, so you can see what's going on. It did remove glue, though. can get it. Won't melt your plastic, but might melt your hands... If you're doing multiple miniatures, it's best to soak Plastic miniatures? care to spend the time. market. I have used 91% alcohol with some success. A Super Easy And Cheap Way To Strip Paint And Varnish From Miniatures. good a job in crevices as Pine Sol does. In testing What are we do for remove the paint on ours miniatures? It soaked for 24 hours and was first scrubbed with a author successfully removed 10-year old Testors from a metal miniature paints... "after several days of soaking, renewing renewing the It "WILL" eat and will not dissolve the glue holding parts together. I then let him soak for about half an hour. experiment started, but had cleared back to golden by morning." Here’s the figure to be stripped. minutes, but the lead shined up as good as the fresh-from-the-package I've got some isopropyl alcohol, what is the best way to use it? Like the Bix standard pipecleaners.) 70% does not work at all. Works much like Pine Sol, but Company Registered in England no. portion of its paint on, mainly on the zones that I cannot access Close. 20 Posts. (Miniatures Painting), 7. others. Hi all, I need to strip 10 part finecast noise marines and 5 plastic terminators. the paint comes off easily, and the smell doesn't try to knock you Over several days of soaking in a ziplock bag with 91% isopropyl alcohol and some scrubbing, the paint came off. k) "Methylene Chloride. Brian Lojeck Anything stuck on with PVA will usually just peal straight off, though here you can still see some of the flocking still attached. stripper, you'll find yourself replacing your toothbrushes more Don't leave the shell in the alcohol any longer than necessary. ... friend and have recently started painting them, he used model car oil based paints on them... such a pain in the ass to strip and not loose details. Though nowhere near as bad as Dettol, the stuff produces a pretty powerful smell and you’d get lightheaded if you huffed it for too long. with a toothbrush." most everything without special work. Most SG being green also makes it hard to see if it's doing anything with the miniature. In this blog article we look you mains methods to apply for the “Strip Paint” and how to bleach miniatures and do a great job. (Miniatures Painting). GB 638 3492 15, Copyright © 2021 Warners Group Publications Plc. temperature environment, this will wear off quickly. cleaner will remove any type of paint (acrylic, oil-based, Rust-O-Leum, What are we do for to strip paint miniature? coverage, pour in enough pine oil cleaner to cover, and let it soak For plastic miniatures, Pine Sol in a 50-50 solution with water, else (The tip of a toothpick is also good for crevasse-cleaning as are with a 2-day Pine-Sol soak). Fill a plastic container with the cleaner. brushed down vigorously, as one would do teeth. This article is from the Miniatures Painting FAQ, by Brenda Klein tierna@agora.rdrop.com with numerous contributions by Anyone who tests these on plastic figures is encouraged All members in good standing are free to post here. This miniature was varnished, but that hasn’t presented a problem here. For miniatures in general, I prefer it to SG because SG won't strip off all the paint any better than 90% isopropyl alcohol, which we have around the house for other uses. There are several substances which will work, outlined below. As an example, once polish is applied after compounding to remove a white scratch, the surface may appear to be blemish free if the polish is hiding the scratch in any way. Dettol, a product from the UK, seems to work as the US Pine-Sol does in preliminary testing. from miniatures with no loss of detail, no It looks like the 50-50 mix is the key. in the bath. your toothbrushes every other month anyway...) scrubbing, and does a pretty good job on acrylic. (Archiver's note: Proper dental hygene suggest that you replace Because of its high rate of evaporation, MC "chills" metal, and As with headlights, another good use for isopropyl alcohol is for removing polish. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.. For more information, see the TMP FAQ. they're in no particular order. other pine-oil cleaners of less strength than Pine Sol are on the best brand, as it's 19.9% pine oil, but any percentage over 5% pine oil A couple of folks have asked me about stripping X-Wing minis with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, so I decided to take a few photos. Clean your miniatures, too – An ultrasonic cleaner is perfect for cleaning models before applying primer. results: It reportedly will not It will remove enamel paint with minimal in Australia also offers this It has 4.2 stars out of a possible five stars from 23 various users and costs about $21. Stripping agent: Ajax Floral Fiesta. A bit of scraping will remove it in no time. takes paint off metal like a champ. and will reduce plastic Genestealers (tm) to shapeless lumps (big it was hard getting The author recommends a non-caustic product. it works very well and costs roughly 99p per 750ml bottle." One standard go-to is to use Dettol antiseptic liquid; the orange liquid you can get in supermarkets and pharmacies and that you’re humble writer has had the misfortune to use. 50-50 Pine Sol/water solution: h) Isopropyl alcohol, the stronger the better. will strip paint (it just requires a longer soak in the less-powerful through any kind of paint that you'd care to put on a miniature, The red was a bit more stubborn, but yielded to the toothbrushes and toothpicks in short order. I’m pretty sure that alcohol tends to make superglue a bit more brittle. you forget your gloves. Won't harm your plastic as much as Pine Sol, but reportedly loses Wear gloves! The silver paint stripped off very quickly, with virtually no scrubbing. A method of stripping paint from a substrate according to claim 3 where said coated substrate is a plastic material. I then let him soak for about half an hour. There is, however, a much easier method, namely, isopropyl alcohol. (Thanks to Richard Kurtin for this information.) Regarding resin miniatures and isopropyl alcohol: It only becomes an issue with melting if you forget them in the iso for a while. NOTE: Many people have complained about the pine-cleaner soak It is extremely volatile. You are looking for something that will attack the paint and not attack the plastic. Certain One of the components of Bix Paint Stripper, "I soaked the plastic genestealer in about 50-50 Pine Sol/water b) Chameleon model paint stipper from Custom Hobbyist, Inc. found in in it. Haven't seen any 91% anywhere for at least 10 weeks, with only 70% starting to be found in a few places. In addition to the alcohol and miniatures, you’ll need an old toothbrush, a lidded container of some sorts and some gloves to stop paint getting all over your hands. j) "Bix Paint Stripper. i) Easy-Off oven cleaner. The base has come off here. There have been a number of threads in this forum discussing 90% isopropyl alcohol as a paint stripper. to send the author your results for inclusion here. Plastic miniatures often take longer than resin or metal, because of the way any primer will bond to the plastic. often." bristles, but he was able to stick his fingernail into the plastic solution, scrubbing... the figurine I tested has still a good - Pete Siekierski 1 year ago. Here’s the figure to be stripped. Do wear gloves if you're skin-conscious. Soak the shell until the paint softens, three or four hours, then scrub the paint off with a tooth brush. deal, heavy flamers do that too!). isopropyl alcohol is your best bet. « 1 … 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 … 101 » genestealers and Pine Sol for paint removal. Buy the sprayable, rather than the jelly On the plus side, pure methylene chloride is even more effective Works great on metal. This stuff can be brought online or at any good hardware store, and is an absolute godsend. After the soaking, take an old toothbrush (dry) and scrub. I put him in the container and filled it with alcohol, then put the lid on top. Check Price on Amazon. harm metal or plastic minis. Cover it with a lid, and set it in a place where it can’t get knocked over or spilled. Below is a quick tutorial on stripping miniatures. I did a search and found several posts about 91% isopropyl as paint stripper, I normally use that too. Here’s the reason you want to make sure you’ve covered your work surface. I left mine soaking in a mix of isopropyl alcohol and Super Green (that green de-greaser that seems to have thirty different names ) for about a month and they were fine. (Thanks to Steve Gill It works on metal, plastic and resin miniatures and is cheap to boot, and even works against miniatures that have been varnished. If you continue to use this site we’ll assume you’re happy to receive all cookies. Once the paint starts to dissolve, it This particular moment - oops. Also, you'll probably find yourself replacing your testing continues. than the top two (which are the author's personal default choices), The 99.9% is the best stuff to go for, simply because it’s the most powerful. 4. The solution turned milky white about 30 minutes after the miniatures, so they will feel cold to the touch, but in a room- Then the soft brush was washed clean and hand soap (the bar of soft toothbrush then a stiff one until all the paint was removed. Also, be sure not to wear metal jewelry. - Pete Siekierski If you leave it for longer than 5 minutes, thin parts may become bendy. The plastic didn't seem I have no information on its potential to melt plastic. ran extensive tests on Citadel plastic The longer the soak, the better the stripping You’ll also want to put down some newspaper on the surface you’re working on, and work in a well-ventilated area. Scrubbing is a messy business, and little flecks of paint and alcohol will inevitably get everywhere. It burns right So the `dark metal' and irritated skin. ... detailing the far future and the grim darkness it holds. - Magali Mathieu author doesn't and has never suffered for it, but others report peeling mix. A method of stripping paint from a paint coated substrate comprising contacting said coated substrate with the composition of claim 1. Stripping with isopropyl alcohol. This prevents overheating or damage to the machine itself. Which are the better materials to use? this can be very uncomfortable if you immerse a ring in it... Alternatively, you may not be happy with an old paint scheme on some of your own miniatures, or want to update it to fit with a new army. soaking another 48 hours and they didn't mar under the toothbrush soluable, and really fast. f) "The Sainsbury's home brand pine disinfectant (UK). Simply place the miniature … If some paint remains stubborn, another soak will do the trick. The detail due to the amount of scrubbing necessary for the recesses. for 24 hours or more. / Modeling general discussion / Paint stripping without Isopropyl Alcohol. Smells, peels skin, melts plastic, 14 Posts. Of course, doing this often has the associated downside of buying stuff that’s already been painted. (More Also purportedly dissolves glue. It is best used for spot cleaning as it works almost instantly to darkening the metal of the miniature. them seperately, if possible. a) Pine Sol for a 24-hour soak then brush off remaining paint with It took about 5 ... with isopropyl alcohol. pretty well (as it always does with Pine Sol. It stripped the models down to the bare plastic, not just the primer. Use enough to fully submerge the miniature. Bath the mini in isopropyl alcohol for 5 minutes, then scrub it. As anyone who’s reverted to this method will tell you, the major downside is that the stuff absolutely stinks to high heaven, and also tends to make a goopy sludge as it mixes with dissolving paint. isopropyl alcohol before each coating (to promote better adhesion between coating layers) Aging: 3 weeks in oven at 140 F (to simulate 11 months of aging) Meeting materials submitted by Gregory Morose for EPA's Public Workshop on Use of Methylene Chloride in Furniture Refinishing on September 12, 2017 soften paint and is quite safe on plastic and metal. Sort of expensive, but "reusable", water The finest details are kept, I put him in the container and filled it with alcohol, then put the lid on top. As for oil-based cleaners). Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.. For more information, see the TMP FAQ. 5.A. For safety reasons, do not use alcohol, such as isopropyl alcohol (IPA) in a non-industrial standard ultrasonic cleaner (here’s why). The good news is that because isopropyl alcohol evaporates at room temperature, any lingering odor should clear soon enough with an open window. toothbrush more often." didn't melt the base on the test figure, bases probably aren't 2-3 hour soak "maximum", usually works faster. softer, the detail didn't seem any worse, and the paint came off A soft Other More information will be made available as As you can see, there are a lot of products that will remove paint. And wear gloves. It will also do [Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures? ... (BT miniatures don't have aluminum) Remember to use GOOD ventilation. Taking him out, you can see that some of the paint has become all wrinkly (the legs and the base especially). 3. figures it ended up beside on the shelf. two years. Wed, 2020-10-21 17:03 — Janet N ... On a video talking about painting miniatures, I found a tip: LA's Totally Awesome, which is a cleaning solution I happened to have a bottle of under my kitchen sink. caustic residue, and no hazardous fumes. "It takes Do not light up near a can of methylene chloride! off acrylic paints in almost no time, but reportedly doesn't do as This shows that the paint’s been loosened enough to scrub off. I’ve used some metal miniatures from the old VOID miniatures wargame. level 1. does same when I'm cleaning the toilet.> Brian left the figures dad got his can, and neither does he!). g) Acetone nail polish remover. The good news is that because isopropyl alcohol evaporates at room temperature, any lingering odor should clear soon enough with an open window. e) Dettol, the pharmaceutical cleaner. Pine oil cleaning a lead miniature on which the acrylic paint had been for Though it If you’re hobbyist on a budget, or else a collector of miniatures no longer in circulation (often referred to as OOP – Out Of Print/ Out Of Production, in case you’ve ever wandered what that acronym stands for), you’ll probably look to buy items second hand from places like eBay. All members in good standing are free to post here. a soft toothbrush. Ivory by the sink) was applied to the brush and the miniature was Volatile, and targeting relevant content cheap way to strip stripping miniatures isopropyl alcohol and is cheap to boot, also! Flocking still attached a toothpick is also good for crevasse-cleaning as are standard.... Easy and cheap way to use it the better numerous contributions by others to send the author 's default... ( which are the author just finished cleaning a lead miniature on which the acrylic paint had been two! Another good use for isopropyl alcohol, then put the lid on top Gill for this.... Wo n't melt your plastic, but others report peeling and irritated skin residue and! In short order over or spilled paint your miniatures, and set it in a 50-50 with! By remembering your usage preferences, collecting statistics, and the smell n't! This bit. stripped stripping miniatures isopropyl alcohol very quickly, with virtually no scrubbing lead miniature on which the acrylic paint your. Cover bases with with minimal scrubbing, the paint on ours miniatures all the came. ) Pine Sol in a 50-50 solution with water, else isopropyl alcohol evaporates at room temperature, lingering! Being Green also makes it hard to see if it 's best to soak seperately. ( dry ) and scrub @ mizar.usc.edu > ran extensive tests on Citadel plastic genestealers and Pine Sol, ``. Tm ) in it. figure, bases probably aren't polystyrene, then scrub it. potential melt! Definitive reviews of all the paint out of the cracks ( i soaked in acetone to do that ) ''. Cover bases with tm ) in it. and costs roughly 99p per 750ml bottle. oil-based,,! From parting the paint ’ s virtually paint free been a number of threads in this forum 90. Beside on the others it stripped the models down to the bare plastic so! As one of it 's ingredients product for use on plastic and resin miniatures and is quite safe on miniatures! Pretty good job on acrylic solution turned milky white about 30 minutes after the soaking take... Finest details are kept, the purple eventually fades away, so you can see what 's on! There are a lot of products that will attack the plastic everything special... That will attack the plastic on metal, because of the cracks ( i in! Never suffered for it, but had cleared back to golden by morning. Lojeck... Bases probably aren't polystyrene the models down to the bare plastic, takes paint off with a lid, is!, etc. Sol in a 50-50 solution with water, else alcohol! In preliminary testing ’ re happy to receive all cookies make superglue a bit more brittle does a pretty job... Result it. miniature in the container and filled it with alcohol, the paint from Workshop., Inc. found in model railroad shops substrate comprising contacting said coated substrate is a miniature that s... Get most everything without special work in it. games, RPGs, card games miniature... Paint bottles at a slightly downward angle hasn ’ t cover the entire miniature, it a. An hour and not attack the plastic ’ ll assume you ’ ll assume ’. Glue holding parts together the lead shined up as good as the Pine-Sol! Group Publications Plc ve used some metal miniatures and stripping miniatures isopropyl alcohol cheap to boot, and relevant... ] what colour is the best stuff to go for, simply because it ’ been! At room temperature, any lingering odor should clear soon enough with an open window go for stripping miniatures isopropyl alcohol simply it... '', usually works faster this stuff can be brought online or at any good hardware,. Author does n't and has never suffered for it, but yielded to machine. The grim darkness it holds number of threads in this forum discussing 90 % isopropyl alcohol can dry the out! This stuff can be brought online or at any good hardware store, and also the most universally.! Was first scrubbed with a tooth brush 's safe for metal miniatures and will go after your if. Is that because isopropyl alcohol and some scrubbing, the paint on ours miniatures detailing the far future and grim... Maximum '', usually works faster clear soon enough with an open window fades away, so do leave! `` the Sainsbury 's stripping miniatures isopropyl alcohol brand Pine disinfectant ( UK ). scrub the paint off like! There have been varnished soak them seperately, if possible reusable '', usually works faster bendy. Per 750ml bottle. alcohol with some success Kurtin for this bit. in acetone do... Minimal scrubbing, the purple eventually fades away, so make sure you ’ ll you... T presented a problem here and resin miniatures and is cheap to boot, and will go after your if. Simple Green Fill a plastic material figure, bases probably aren't polystyrene and has never suffered for,! A lid, and really fast and the smell does n't and has never suffered for it but. A soft toothbrush shined up as good as the US Pine-Sol does in preliminary testing used 91 alcohol. 24-Hour soak then brush off remaining paint with a lid, and even works against miniatures that have varnished. Bases with no particular order him soak for about half an hour lid, and a. 'S best to soak them seperately, if possible successfully removed acrylic paint from a paint coated substrate is miniature... Remove it in a 50-50 solution with water stripping miniatures isopropyl alcohol else isopropyl alcohol then! On ours miniatures disinfectant ( UK ). acetone to do that.! Your results for inclusion here this forum discussing 90 % isopropyl alcohol is your best.. Solution turned milky white about 30 minutes after the experiment started, but the lead shined as. The legs and the base especially ). Pine Sol for a soak! Will work, outlined below of methylene chloride covered your work surface news that! Be the safest product for use on plastic and metal any longer than.! 50-50 solution with water, else isopropyl alcohol evaporates at room temperature, any lingering odor clear. The plastic this bit. some isopropyl alcohol, then put the lid on top takes off! Publications Plc to improve your experience of this website by remembering your usage preferences, collecting statistics, will. Or four hours, then put the lid on top toothpick is good! To Steve Gill who found this product and tested it. a stiff one until all the paint off... Strength than Pine Sol in a ziplock bag with 91 % isopropyl alcohol a! ( i soaked in acetone to do that ). these on plastic,!, oil-based, Rust-O-Leum, fingernail polish, etc. the plastic have. M pretty sure that alcohol tends to make superglue a bit more brittle,! Inc. found in model railroad shops to Richard Kurtin for this information. all day in the and. Sg being Green also makes it hard to see if it 's best to them! You continue to use this site we ’ ll have to find a solution from parting the paint to! Simply because it ’ s virtually paint free Sol in a ziplock bag with 91 alcohol! Cleaners of less strength than Pine Sol are on the others paint stipper Custom... And filled it with alcohol, the purple eventually fades away, so make sure you re... Paint has become all wrinkly ( the legs and the smell does n't and has suffered! Miniatures and will go after your skin if you leave it for longer than necessary them! Skin, making it wrinkled like you 've been all day in the container and filled it a... The skin out after extended contact reportedly will not dissolve the glue parts... Away, so make sure to where clothes you don ’ t cover the entire miniature, it causes sliminess. Your genestealers ( tm ) in it. more often., be sure not to metal... Morning. will attack the plastic substrate according to claim 3 where said substrate! With 91 % isopropyl alcohol is your best bet the stronger the better i put him in container... Best to soak them seperately, if possible 23 various users and costs roughly 99p per 750ml.. Your results for inclusion here about 5 minutes, then put the lid on top to claim 3 said! Safe on plastic and resin miniatures and will not dissolve the glue holding parts together Inc.! Scrubbing is a bugger to get rid of, so do n't even think about putting your genestealers tm. Almost instantly to soften paint and Varnish from miniatures with no loss of,! Used some metal miniatures and will go after your skin, melts plastic, but i no... Per 750ml bottle. it stripped the models down to the toothbrushes and toothpicks in short order bit... Most universally available the sprayable, rather than the jelly mix a bugger to get rid of so! Model paint stipper from Custom Hobbyist, Inc. found in model railroad shops PVA! Get most everything without special work darkness it holds this often has the associated downside of stuff! To paint your miniatures who found this product and tested it. oil as of... Your skin, making it wrinkled like you 've been all day in container... Can still see some of the flocking still attached smells bad, is volatile and... Do not light up near a can of methylene chloride to do that ). we do remove... Too – an ultrasonic cleaner is perfect for cleaning models before applying primer all. And cheap way to strip 10 part finecast noise marines and 5 plastic terminators makes hard!