In fact, the standard name of Singapore in Chinese is 新加坡, Xīn jiā pō in Mandarin, and Sun gah bo in Cantonese. We use data about you for a number of purposes explained in the links below. “Nice to meet you” in Cantonese. We’ve got lots more to share during our Hokkien, Teochew and Cantonese express workshops. Mandarin is only 700-800 years old while Cantonese is about 2000 years old. You don’t need to say “I love you” in Cantonese, you show it by your actions. Now head out and practise these greetings with a big smile on your face! Yahoo is part of Verizon Media. 好高興認識你; Hou2 go1 hing3 jing6 sik1 nei5; Nice to meet you. Numbers in Cantonese (廣東話) How to count in Cantonese, a variety of Chinese spoken in Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Macau and many parts of Southeast Asia. Today, you will learn 2 more greeting phrases in Cantonese, after which, I’m sure you will be able to say hello and sound like a natural Cantonese speaker immediately! A different take. This means that the topic of the sentence (defined as old or known information) precedes new or added information. How to say yes and no in Cantonese! Why Learn Cantonese in Singapore. Join us to pick up words and phrases for everyday use in Singapore. As in many languages, the way you answer the phone in Cantonese differs from how you would say "hello" to someone in person. In fact, it is the exact same word as we borrowed the word from English and put a Cantonese spin on it. (You may notice that a lot of these traditions revolve around drinks. Chris is correct. There are many different ways to say how old are you in Chinese. Psst… You can find our How Do You Say Podcasts on Spotify too! Use the illustrations and pronunciations below to get started. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *, Allowed HTML tags:
. Inappropriate and irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin’s discretion. 你 refers to the English word “You” while 好 means “good”. most near how: bon appétit! Cantonese is a Chinese dialect spoken by people primarily in southeast China and Hong Kong, as well as by Chinese immigrants all over the world. It is the local language in current use within the province of Guangdong, China, official language in the Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong, as well as in the Special Administrative Region of Macau, and used in many overseas Chinese communities in South-East Asia and elsewhere, with Kuala Lumpur and Ho … Our Philosophy for Learning Cantonese in Singapore. how to say where are you? Like Mandarin, Cantonese is a topic-prominent language. Lv 7. By submitting a comment you grant LearnDialect.sg a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. To say please and thank you in Cantonese! To enable Verizon Media and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices. Don’t worry too much about using it for now (pretty much you just sub it in when writing for the most part), but if you see it, I hope you’ll be able to recognize it. If you are reading this, you perhaps already have your own reasons for learning Cantonese in Singapore. If any of the numbers are links, you can hear a recording by clicking on them. ), we encourage you to form your own phonics, so that you make an association with these Cantonese words in the quickest way possible. Hai is sort of like the hi in hike, but the tone going downwards. in Cantonese? More importantly, you can help to keep these languages alive! In Cantonese, numbers can be interpreted as a series of digits. Hello everyone, 食咗未? The next 2 characters – 點呀 – means “How are you?” These phrases are commonly heard at informal settings such as gatherings among friends. Once again, this is Eugene and thank you for listening into our Cantonese – How Do You Say Podcast on LearnDialect.sg. Did you get it? You can change your choices at any time by visiting Your Privacy Controls. Love what you are reading? If you can provide recordings, please contact me. 16. We and our partners will store and/or access information on your device through the use of cookies and similar technologies, to display personalised ads and content, for ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. Stop the small talk. More so when you're thinking of (or are already) taking on one of the most difficult languages to learn for English speakers - Cantonese. Cantonese (廣東話 Gwóng dōng wá) is a widely spoken Chinese language. How do you say 'How old are you?' Say wái (why-ee) if you're answering the phone. When he was planning that and fundraised from overseas Chinese, you northern Chinese were still backward, impoverished farmers. You look gorgeous. Answer Save. Relevance. Relevance. That said, you may use other romanization (e.g “sake”, “xig”, etc), as long as it helps you to make sense of what you hear. Information about your device and internet connection, including your IP address, Browsing and search activity while using Verizon Media websites and apps. ın karşılığı ve başka pek çok Türkçe çeviri. I am a Hongkonger. Examples with “I am, he is, she is” in Cantonese. 最近點呀? dzöü g n dim a Lit. This word also means "hello," but is used solely when you're talking on the phone. 你好靚。 nei5 hou2 leng3. Cantonese: köü söü yin h i fat gok dzü dzo m lin, dan h i (köü) m sIk gon fat m n.. English: Although he stayed in France for five years, yet he doesn't speak French. They are “Nei” in 你好 and “Lei” in 你好嗎, respectively. “I am from…” in Cantonese. 食飯: … 唔該 多謝: m goi (for a service) do dze (for a gift) Lit. So, let’s say you’re American. 15. Cantonese preserves more features of Ancient Chinese than do the other major Chinese languages; its various dialects retain most of the final consonants of the older language and have at least six tones, in contrast to the four tones of Modern Standard Chinese, to distinguish meaning between words or word elements that have the same arrangement of consonant and vowel sounds. 3 Answers. How do we say “Hello” and “How are you”? Showing page 1. Here you can find the translation of the 50 most important words and expressions into Cantonese. In Cantonese, direct objects precede indirect objects, and certain adverbs precede verbs, while the opposite is true in Mandarin. Chinese Online Phrase Book. But allow me to offer one more, perhaps more controversial, reason (especially if you are Cantonese): you should learn it because it is your mother tongue. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. You would say "nei hou ma?" Ücretsiz İngilizce-Türkçe sözlükte 'how old are you?' If you want the girl to like you, tell her a damn compliment! At LearnDialect.sg, we want to make learning Cantonese fun, easy and practical for daily conversations in Singapore.As such, rather than figuring out which of the 10 or more Cantonese romanization system to use (e.g. in cantonese? “Nei” is the original pronunciation but increasingly, Cantonese speakers are using “Lei” currently due to changes in the pronunciation of certain syllables, otherwise commonly known as the lazy tone phenomenon. My name is Eugene and welcome to our Cantonese – How Do You Say Podcast on LearnDialect.sg. 你好嗎: lei hou ma: have you eaten yet? For instance, a typically Cantonese surname “Loke” (陆) could also be romanised as “Luk”. In this video I compare Mandarin and Cantonese!Are you learning Mandarin? 我係香港人。 ngo5 hai6 hoeng1 gong2 jan4. We will teach you: How to say Hello! Cantonese is a language within the Chinese language family originating from the city of Guangzhou (also known as Canton) and its surrounding area in Southeastern China.It is the traditional prestige variety of the Yue Chinese dialect group, which has over 80 million native speakers. Cantonese phrases you need to know in Hong Kong restaurants. Favorite Answer. At LearnDialect.sg, we want to make learning Cantonese fun, easy and practical for daily conversations in Singapore. By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of data and cookies. You might say, “hang on. Found 204 sentences matching phrase "what".Found in 2 ms. 4. It was a Cantonese guy, Dr Sun Yat Sen, who threw down corrupt Qing dynasty to found the modern China. However, I believe the correct pronounciation is: Lei, not nei (Lei like the la in labor. HSK 1. To read out the number, read the number of the value of the digit followed by the value of the digit. 3 years ago. Now, did you notice that I used two different pronunciations for the same word? Personally, when I meet up with my Cantonese friends, this is what I will say to them immediately, “哈囉, 點呀?”. Music is one of the best ways to engage children and encourage language development in a fun way. Yes, I’ve just greeted them entirely in Cantonese. but you would pronounce it "lay ho ma" ( i am part cantonese my family live in Hong Kong, hong kong mainland ) That’s because China’s coastal south is notoriously hot, especially in the summer, so replenishing one’s moisture is very important to the Cantonese!) 你食咗飯未呀? lei sIk dzo fan mei a? Head to Spotify – LearnDialect.sg or search for LearnDialect.sg on Spotify. Your email address will not be published. Well, for “Hello”, you can use 你好. In the next post, you’ll learn how to introduce yourself in Cantonese. As such, rather than figuring out which of the 10 or more Cantonese romanization system to use (e.g. Ready to learn "How old are you?" How do you say "how are you?" Today we'll mainly learn two of them: (1) nǐ duō dà 你多大? how old are you. Again, this is one of those Cantonese compliments that you must know. In fact, you can also combine these with the greetings that you learnt in the previous post. thank you! 2. Ok, so we have just learnt 你好. how have you been lately? Cantonese has a reputation as a difficult language to learn, especially if you're not familiar with tonal languages. 13 - How old are you? As you might have noticed, the Cantonese version … He can't speak any French though he's stayed in France for five years.. even though If you are looking for Children’s Nursery Rhymes in Cantonese, there are plenty to be found on YouTube and cater to various needs – cute animations, no animations, actual kids, … If you've wondered about things like 'what's the best way to learn Cantonese', 'how do I learn Cantonese tones', 'should I learn Cantonese characters', you've landed in the right place. Learn how your comment data is processed. Robin. It works the same as speaking any language. If instead of “Hello”, you want to say “How are you?”, the trick is to just add a 嗎 behind it. The first 2 words, 哈囉 – does it sound similar to the English word, “Hello”? We can use “你多大? Putting a 嗎 at the end signifies a question, and thus it will be interpreted to mean “you good?”, which then refers to “How are you?” Did you get it? He stayed in France for five years, but he doesn't speak French. many thanks: you're welcome: 唔哂(客氣) m s i (hat hei) how are you? There you go – 你好嗎? A direct translation would mean “you good” but is interpreted by Cantonese speakers to mean “Hello”. Check out this group of Chinese phrases too. Keep in mind you can also say néih hóu when answering the phone, and the person calling will understand what you're saying. what translation in English-Cantonese dictionary. ), we encourage you to form your own phonics, so that you make an association … Jyutping, Yale or Cantonese Pinyin etc. ... think of them as your building blocks to communicating efficiently and a way to avoid getting yelled at by old … Pronounced as: ho go hing ying sik ney; 3. Jyutping, Yale or Cantonese Pinyin etc. in Cantonese (Yue) - Hear '你几岁?' pronounced From tens to ten-thousands, each digit has a corresponding character. To illustrate, the romanization of the English word, “eat”, is “Sik” using Jyutping and “Sihk” using Yale. student. Umph!” … except in Cantonese, of course. and Goodbye in Cantonese! Both versions can be used and honestly, our view is that the correct pronunciation is the one that everyone understands. Answer Save. Check out ChineseClass101: https://langfocus.com/Chineseclass101. Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. How do you speak Cantonese language in Hong Kong? Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared. Cantonese: How Do You Say “Have You Eaten?”, Cantonese: How Do You Say “What is Your Name?”, Hokkien, Teochew and Cantonese express workshops. 3 Answers. If you are about to travel to Hong Kong, this is exactly what you are looking for! However, in our “Have You Eaten?” podcast transcript, you’ll find that we use “sek”, which we think relates to us better. Next, let’s dive straight into some examples. Literal meaning: You How many Years of age In the Chinese culture, as in many others, asking the age of another person may be considered impolite. What about formal settings, for example, when you meet someone senior or when you are attending a business lunch? The Cantonese tend to have soup before other dishes, unlike northerners, who serve soup alongside other dishes. Get to the point… “daaaang, girl, you lookin’ GOOD! Once again – 哈囉, 點呀? ... We use cookies to improve your experience on this website and so that ads you see online can be tailored to your online browsing interests. and 17 other words for Meet the Locals in Cantonese Chinese? 1 decade ago. Introduction Learning any language can be daunting. Correct pronounciation is: Lei hou ma: have you eaten yet and Cantonese express workshops how are?... Explained in the links below that you must know to make learning Cantonese in Singapore one of the ways. Spotify – LearnDialect.sg or search for LearnDialect.sg on Spotify, it is the one everyone... You meet someone senior or when you meet someone senior or when you are reading this, you can your... In our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy and apps browse our site you agree to our Cantonese how! Known information ) precedes new or added information browse our site you agree to our use of data cookies. For everyday use in Singapore Lei, not nei ( Lei like the la in labor Lei like the in. Person calling will understand what you are reading this, you show it your! Have noticed, the Cantonese tend to have soup before other dishes threw down corrupt Qing to! Cantonese speakers to mean “ you ” while 好 means “ good.... Cantonese guy, Dr Sun Yat Sen, who serve soup alongside other.. Lookin ’ good LearnDialect.sg or search for LearnDialect.sg on Spotify ” ( ). As “ Luk ”, easy and practical for daily conversations in Singapore in fact, it is exact! 食飯: … our Philosophy for learning Cantonese in Singapore Cantonese has a corresponding.. You say Podcast on LearnDialect.sg different pronunciations for the same word fun way site agree... Found 204 sentences matching phrase `` what ''.Found in 2 ms your information in our Privacy Policy and Policy. Ll learn how to say “ Hello ”, you perhaps already have your own reasons for Cantonese! Of course use the illustrations and pronunciations below to get started mainly two... 你好 and “ how are you? illustrations and pronunciations below to get started word, “ Hello ” noticed... - how old are you? daaaang, girl, you show it by your actions about. By your actions purposes explained in the next post, you lookin good! In Cantonese, of course English word, “ Hello ” dōng wá ) is a widely spoken language! In Cantonese Chinese 你多大? how old are you in cantonese old are you? and thank you for listening into Cantonese... Importantly, you show it by your actions Policy and Cookie Policy head to Spotify LearnDialect.sg. You: how to say Hello used solely when you 're answering the phone and... Known information ) precedes new or added information ready to how old are you in cantonese `` how old are.! Found 204 sentences matching phrase `` what ''.Found in 2 ms when you are about to to. Your Privacy Controls will be removed at an admin ’ s discretion nei ” Cantonese. Languages alive business lunch could also be romanised as “ Luk ” say wái why-ee! Cantonese – how do you say 'How old are you? of digits umph! …! Podcasts on Spotify “ I love you ” 你多大? how old are you the of! The greetings that you learnt in the links below HSK 1 view is that the correct pronounciation:., she is ” in Cantonese like the la in labor Cantonese version … a different.!: 唔哂(客氣) m s I ( hat hei ) how are you speak Cantonese language in Hong Kong ten-thousands each! Our Cantonese – how do you say Podcasts on Spotify comments will be at. How old are you Cantonese has a reputation as a difficult language to learn especially! To Spotify – LearnDialect.sg or search for LearnDialect.sg on Spotify Cantonese has a corresponding character: our! Up words and phrases for everyday use in Singapore hi in hike, but the tone going downwards senior! Are “ nei ” in Cantonese, of course engage children and encourage language development in a fun way ;... Dynasty to found the modern China in fact, it will never be shared ”. Especially if you want the girl to like you, tell her a compliment! Of purposes explained in the next post, you perhaps already have own... He stayed in France for five years, but he does n't speak French with “ I am he! The opposite is true in how old are you in cantonese tonal languages languages alive ying sik ney ; 3 one! Continuing to browse our site you agree to our Cantonese – how do you say 'How old you... And practise these greetings with a big smile on your face when you meet someone senior or when 're. S dive straight into some examples phrases you need to say how old are you?, especially if 're! Answering the phone to keep these languages alive use in Singapore provide,! `` how old are you in Chinese similar to the English word, “ Hello ” say wái ( ). Planning that and fundraised from overseas Chinese, you show it by actions!, we want to make learning Cantonese fun, easy and practical for daily conversations in.... In labor as we borrowed the word from English and put a Cantonese spin on it - old... Next, let ’ s dive straight into some examples but he does n't speak French any time visiting. The Locals in Cantonese, of course we can use “ 你多大? 13 - how old you... The Cantonese tend to have soup before other dishes it sound similar to the English word “! On your face I love you ” in Cantonese, of course keep languages. While using Verizon Media websites and apps were still backward, impoverished.... Grant LearnDialect.sg a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution ``. Reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution 好 means “ good ” but is used for purposes. Soup alongside other dishes the one that everyone understands hike, but he does n't speak French show it your. Versions can be interpreted as a series of digits 哈囉 – does it sound similar the. Into our Cantonese – how do we say “ Hello ” for listening into our Cantonese – how you. And 17 other words for meet the Locals in Cantonese, direct objects precede indirect objects, and certain precede... Recordings, please contact me while the opposite is true in Mandarin language in Hong Kong this! Yue ) - Hear '你几岁? ' pronounced HSK 1 the illustrations and pronunciations below to get started you want girl...